Tuesday, October 7, 2008

David Garrad



David Garrad of the Jacksonville Jaguars has his game in the right perspective.

My mother and father divorced when I was around 7. Then my mother got sick with breast cancer. I was mad at God for allowing that. When she died, I was furious. We had been going to church once or twice a month, but I stopped going then.

By the time I got to college I knew there was a void in my life. Football was great, but it didn’t fill the void. Partying didn’t fill it. Drinking didn’t either. But Christian teammates and my coaches were there for me. In September of 2000, I had lunch with my team chaplain. It wasn’t until then that I realized I’d never be a complete quarterback if I didn’t have a strong spiritual side. My chaplain said, ‘Dave, you can receive the Lord right now if you want.’ So, I prayed and asked Jesus to come into my heart.

Now, I have a different purpose and outlook in life. I have peace with God and eternal life. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior and He is the One who helps me through life. God gave me the ability to do the things I do and put me in this position because this is how He wants me to live. I thank God for the ability to be on the field. I believe I’m in the limelight to be a light for Him.

No comments: